Taxi News Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Latest topics
» Free Download Corel Draw X4 Portable For Windows 7
Cab driver Derek Dobson hits back at bad rap EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 3:46 pm by 

» U-he Zebra 2.5.2 Key
Cab driver Derek Dobson hits back at bad rap EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 9:50 am by 

» U-he Zebra 2.5.2 Key
Cab driver Derek Dobson hits back at bad rap EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 9:49 am by 

» Taxi driver bashed in western Sydney
Cab driver Derek Dobson hits back at bad rap EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 4:08 am by Admin

» thugs-attack-taxi-driver
Cab driver Derek Dobson hits back at bad rap EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 4:07 am by Admin

» Taxi runs over teen
Cab driver Derek Dobson hits back at bad rap EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 4:40 am by Admin

» taxi-driver-assaulted-then-stranded
Cab driver Derek Dobson hits back at bad rap EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 4:35 am by Admin

» Cab driver Derek Dobson hits back at bad rap
Cab driver Derek Dobson hits back at bad rap EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 7:08 am by Admin

» Mining town's only cabbie banned from roads over drunk-driving
Cab driver Derek Dobson hits back at bad rap EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 2:46 pm by Admin

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Cab driver Derek Dobson hits back at bad rap

Go down

Cab driver Derek Dobson hits back at bad rap Empty Cab driver Derek Dobson hits back at bad rap

Post  Admin Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:08 am

Cab driver Derek Dobson hits back at bad rap

by: By Robyn Ironside
April 02, 2012 1:45PM

Taxi driver hits back at survey giving cabbies a bad rap
He said he has been "kicked, punched and spat on"
He believes the public should "be towed in a wire cage"

Cabbies say they have a tough job dealing with customers.
A BRISBANE taxi driver has hit back at a national survey giving cabbies a bad rap, saying the general public deserved to be "towed in a wire cage behind the taxi".
Derek Dobson, who has driven a cab for the past 12 months, said in that time he had been "kicked, punched, spat on, verbally abused and physically assaulted".

"I have had my taxi vandalised, seat belts knotted, seat covers ripped, restraint equipment thrown out of the vehicle, windows broken, bottles smashed in the passenger area, drinks spilled, countless people who have vomited, objects thrown and fare evasions," Mr Dobson said.

"If the law of the land was applied, the general public would be towed in a wire cage behind the taxi. However what applies in other industries is overlooked or dismissed as we are 'just' taxi drivers."

He said he had reached the stage where for his own sanity and safety, he was seriously considering leaving the industry.

"I shouldn't have to second guess every passenger's intentions when they approach my taxi on any rank in the city," said Mr Dobson.

"I shouldn't be regarded as a disposable commodity to be used and abused by the general public. I shouldn't have to waste my time going to the assistance of other taxi drivers to deal with belligerent, violent or unconscious passengers."

Yellow Cabs general manager Bill Parker said drivers were subject to verbal abuse and intolerance at times, particularly in certain areas of Brisbane.

"They're providing a service, often where there is no other form of transport available and I think it's high time they were shown some respect," Mr Parker said.

He said Friday and Saturday nights were times when people tended to become inebriated and hotels and clubs should take some responsibility.

"I don't think the cab driver deserves to be accosted or challenged when he's just trying to get them home," Mr Parker said.

"I think if you're sending a cab to a club or hotel, their responsibility shouldn't end if they've thrown a person out of the hotel or club and thrown them into a cab."

The national survey by the University of Sydney's Institute of Transport and Logistics Studies found the majority of people questioned saw no improvement in the taxi industry in the last 12 months.

Mr Parker said the Brisbane industry strived to maintain a high standard, with all drivers facing close scrutiny every day.

"If it wasn't for cab drivers, people who are disabled wouldn't be able to escape their house or place of residence," he said.

"They provide de facto ambulance services, they operate 24/7 and are there when the bus industry isn't working."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/worklife/cabbie-wants-clients-caged/story-e6frfm9r-1226316081714#ixzz1qqvURshY

Admin
Admin

https://quhda.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down